Words without Borders; The Home of International Literature

Words without Borders; The Home of International Literature
Check out an interview with Rwandan Writer Scholastique Mukasonga

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Pulitzer Prize Winning Writer Junot Diaz Laments About The Lack of Diversity in MFA Programs

Photo of Junot Diaz from   lifeofman.esquire.com
Junot Díaz--Excerpts from the Dismantle Anthology Introduction in the NEW YORKER-
MFA VS. POC

"When I was in my mid-twenties I decided to apply for an MFA in creative writing. Part of it was I wanted to get serious with my writing—whatever that meant. Part of it was that my body was getting worn out from delivering pool tables. Part of it was a worrying sense I had that I was going to need a lot more sophistication if I was ever going to be any good at writing. And part of it was I didn’t know I had other options..."

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2014/04/mfa-vs-poc.html

Photo: Creative Commons/ Colgate University



Junot Diaz is a Dominican-American writer. He is a MIT professor & Boston Review editor. Central to his work is the immigrant experience, with books including This is How You Lose Her, Drown, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao & Monstro. He is a Pulitzer Prize Winner & a MacArthur Fellow, and a founding member of the Voices of Our Nations Arts Writing Workshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment